Friday, April 4, 2008

Resurrection and New Direction

Hey, that rhymes! Pretty nifty, eh? Actually, don't answer that question...

When you saw the title, did you think that this post would be about Pascha (that's Orthodox Easter for those of you who are not Orthodox)? Well, it's a bit early for that.

Actually, I am calling this "Resurrection" because this blog has been pretty much dead for the last several months while I have been working on my book. Now, I am hoping to resurrect it and make it "alive" again.

Now for the "New Direction" part. When I first started this blog, I was hoping to make it a series of well-written and inspiring daily (or nearly so) devotional reflections, such as you see on great blogs like those of Fr. Stephen Freeman and Molly Sabourin (both of which will soon be added to my sidebar).

I now realize that this is just not going to happen. As much as I would like to do this, I just don't have the time. Fr. Stephen, Molly, and all the other great bloggers must have more free time than I do, or perhaps they have been blessed with bodies that don't need much sleep (I haven't!). Between my full-time job with the school district, my priestly responsibilities, my desire to spend as much time as possible with my wife and four kids, my reading discipline, and my commitment to keeping my body in shape, there just isn't time for me to do a world-class blog as well. Not only that, but as I mentioned earlier, writing is nowhere near my favorite thing to do.

Still, I see this blog as a ministry, and I want to make it worth your while to read it. I would like to post something at least every other day on average. So, I have decided to just post whatever comes to my mind. I plan to post a wide variety of things, including recommendations of books, music, and other things, along with personal news and some commentary on current events and issues. Occasionally, I may even post some halfway decent devotional materials. And maybe I'll even post something funny, a la Fr. Joseph Huneycutt.

Also, I may facilitate an occasional discussion on particular issues and field questions. I would like this site to become more of a community than a lecture with me as the "sage on the stage" (The Lord knows I am no sage)!

So, let me know what you think. Or, do you have any questions that you would like me to try and answer? I would love to hear from you.

Tomorrow will be the first day of the rest of this blog's life.

1 comment:

Clint said...

I rejoice that the resurrection has come (the blog, I mean).

As to direction.... I am flexible. I think I like your "jack of all trades" approach, though.

I'll read it.