Friday, June 20, 2008

In Vino, Veritas (et salus!)


"[God created] wine that makes glad the heart of man" (Psalm 103/104:15).

"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities" (1 Tim. 5:23).

Here's one for all of you who, like me, are big wine fans. I read this in the Houston Chronicle, which in turn reprinted it from the New York Times.

Red wine may be much more potent than was thought in extending human
lifespan, researchers say in a new report that is likely to give impetus to the
rapidly growing search for longevity drugs.

The study is based on dosing mice with resveratrol, an ingredient of
some red wines. Some scientists are already taking resveratrol
in capsule form, but others believe it is far too early to take the drug,
especially using wine as its source, until there is better data on its safety
and effectiveness.

Click here to read the rest of the article. Then go have a glass. Cheers!

3 comments:

Fr. Gregory Jensen said...

Wine may not prolong our life, but it certainly can add joy to our life!

So I shall lift a glass to you Father and mourn that you live in Houston and I in Youngstown so far from the blessed vineyards of northern California and upstate New York.

In Christ,

Fr Gregory

Fr. James Early said...

Thank you, Father! If your travels should take you to Houston any time soon, let me know. Perhaps we can sit down and raise a glass (or two) together!

Clint said...

The only thing I know about wine is that I know next to nothing about wine. But I am willing to learn.

I suppose the other day was lesson 1. I better get ready for lesson 2.