Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Miscellaneous Plugs, Part One: Blogs

You may have noticed that over the last month or so, I have added a few new (well, new to ME, anyway) blogs to my sidebar. Have you checked them out lately? Here's a list of the blogs (in alphabetical order), with a brief description of each:

1. a...sinner: This is an amazing (and beautifully designed) blog, with enough reading material to last you a loooooooong time. This man must never sleep! He includes brief lives of the major saints of the week, plus interesting articles, most of which are news stories related to Orthodoxy. He recently won the first annual "Eastern Christian Blog Award" for "Best Church News Blog."

2. Byzantine, TX: Written by a Byzantine Catholic Christian who is also the son of a member of my parish, this blog specializes in news stories, many dealing with Catholic-Orthodox relations. The author took home the Eastern Christian Blog Award for the "Most Visually Attractive Blog."

3. Koinonia: Written by Fr. Gregory Jensen, an OCA priest who is also a licensed psychotherapist. His deep and very cerebral blog articles deal mainly with the relationship between psychology and Orthodoxy, but he also writes on many other subjects, lately often including Catholic-Orthodox relations. His blog site is currently down, but it should be up soon.

4. Nous from Spring: Written by a chanter and iconographer who is also a member of my parish. The articles don't come that often, but when they do, they are always insightful.

5. Oh Taste and See: Miscellaneous reflections from an Orthodox layman in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. For a while he did a series on the Psalms which was really good.

6. Our Calling to Christ: A beautiful, intelligent, precocious and spiritual 17-year old's take on living the Christian life. Oh yeah...didn't I just give this blog its own plug?

7. Pithless Thoughts: Steve Robinson, a witty Orthodox subdeacon and the driving force behind the excellent "Our Life in Christ" podcast on AFR, always has interesting things to say.

8. The Arena: By Fr. Josiah Trenham, an Orthodox priest and a great speaker. His blog often has great quotes from the Fathers.

9. Veni, vidi, credidi. Written by an Orthodox layman, this blog contains insightful meditations.


Of course, I also urge you to continue reading the "old timers" on my sidebar, such as Close to Home, Orthodixie, Fr. John Whiteford, Frederica, Bonovox, and the best Orthodox blog of all, Glory to God in All Things. Of course, there are many other excellent blogs out there, but these are my favorites. I don't really have time to read any more, at least not on a regular basis.

I was going to plug a few podcasts too, but I am out of time, so I'll do so tomorrow.

6 comments:

Clint said...

There are several of those blogs I check out on occasion (some more often than others). It seems lately I have been too busy to read hardly any blogs, but those are certainly good ones.

I will have to check out the others that I haven't checked out before, as well.

Anonymous said...

May I suggest Christ is in our midst!

Fr. James Early said...

May I, in turn, suggest "He is and ever shall be!"

Seriously, I tried to go to that blog, but I got this message:

"The authors have deleted this blog. The content is no longer available."

But thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Anonymous said...

That seventeen year old is very impressive indeed, Father James! Well done, Father James and Khouryia (sp?)Jennifer!

Anonymous said...

Aahh, that is because the url is:
http://thehandmaid.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

It is an amusing phrase