Tuesday, July 1, 2008

I Can Do All Things


I am not easily impressed.

Like most of you, I get my fair share of forwarded emails with jokes, inspirational thoughts or stories, and/or prayer requests. Fortunately, I don't get too many. More often than not, I find the jokes to be barely funny (if at all) and the "inspirational" stories to be...well, less than inspirational. I especially hate it when a forwarded email tries to make me feel guilty if I don't forward it on to ten more people. Call me jaded; call me a scrooge--perhaps you would be right.

I have a friend at another parish who likes to forward me links to video clips on YouTube and elsewhere. Unlike the stories and jokes, and chain letters I get from others, the videos are normally pretty good. Even still, they don't normally make that much of an impression on me.

So yesterday, when she sent me a link to another video, I thought, "Well, I had better watch it, just to be nice." (Missy, if you're reading this, please forgive me, and do keep sending the links!) I was in no way prepared for what I saw. It was perhaps the most powerful short video I have ever seen. After watching it, this stoic was in tears! I called Jennifer and said, "You have GOT to watch this!" This time, both of us were in tears. In fact, I cried even more the second time! To say that this video is inspirational would be a gross understatement.

But now I will quit blabbing and set the stage. (Full disclosure: the following intro was in the email I received. I don't know who wrote it, only that it wasn't me. But I will expand it just a bit.)

The story:

A son asked his father, "Dad, will you take part in a marathon with me?" The father who, despite having a heart condition [and never having run a race before --FJE], says "Yes." They went on to complete the marathon together.

Father and son went on to join other marathons, the father always saying "Yes" to his son's request of going through the race together. One day, the son asked his father, "Dad, let's join the Ironman together." To which, his father said "Yes." For those who don't know, Ironman is the toughest triathlon ever. The race encompasses three endurance events of a 2.4 mile (3.86 kilometer), an ocean swim, followed by a 112 mile (180 .2 kilometer) bike ride, and ending with a 26.2 mile (42.195 kilometer) marathon along the coast of the Big Island. [Sounds pretty easy, right? -- FJE] Father and son went on to complete the race together.

This video gives us (at least in my humble opinion) a powerful illustration of God's love for us and the lengths He goes to for us. Now, go grab a hankie or some Kleenexes.

Are you back? Good! Roll film. Enjoy! (The video is only about 4 minutes long)


7 comments:

Molly Sabourin said...

Oh man, I dare anyone to watch that without crying! What an inspiring way to start my morning. Thank you.

Clint said...

If that doesn't grab your heart and squeeze it like a damp washrag then you have a heart of stone.

Wow.

You know, after reading the intro piece, I even figured out the right scenario (disabled son, etc). But the video STILL grabbed me and produced a moist substance from my vision orbs (you know, since men don't cry...)

Wow.

Clint said...

Well, I think it is unanimous. I just showed the video to my wife and sister-in-law, which prompted a veritable overflow of tears.

I still rate it the highest possible level - wow.

Anonymous said...

Well, this man cries.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Father! I fоund another video about them. They ran 950 races, including 60 marathons and 6 ironman triathlons!

http://tinyurl.com/6emt8t

Link to their homepage is here:

http://www.teamhoyt.com/

Rick managed to graduate on Boston University. Such wonderful news!
Bravo!

Дејан

Fr. James Early said...

Dejane,

U kojom dijelu Srbije zivis? Mi smo zivjeli u Banjaluci u 1999, i 2000-2001.

Anonymous said...

Oče James,

U Beogradu. Na žalost, nikad nisam bio u Banjaluci, ali sam čuo da je lepo tamo.

In Belgrade. Unfortunately, I've never been in Banjaluka, but I heard it is nice there.

Дејан