Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Three Amigos


The clergy of St. Joseph Antiochian Orthodox Church (aka "The Three Amigos"). From left to right, Deacon Meletios Marx, Fr. Matthew MacKay (proestamenos), and myself.


Since November of 2006, when our deacon was ordained, I have been privileged to serve at the altar with two of the finest men I have ever met: the Archpriest Matthew MacKay and Deacon Meletios Marx. As many of you know, I spent most of the first seven months of this year away from the altar at St. Joseph's, filling in at churches whose priest was on vacation, or in one case, who had no priest. Although this was overall a very good experience, I did miss my own parish, especially Fr. Matthew and Dn. Mel.


Now, I have been back at St. Joseph's for five straight Sundays, and, God willing, I should be there each Sunday for the rest of this year. I'm looking forward to it. There's no place like home...especially if your home is a God-blessed parish like St. Joseph's. For those of you who don't live in Houston, if you should happen to find yourself down here, please come visit us.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Yay, St. Joseph's clergy! Thanks so much for all of your efforts and dedication to the church (as well as that of all the servers, chanters, kitchen committee, council members, etc...).

Glad you're back, Fr. James. I bet Fr. Matthew really appreciates it!

pete said...

Can you comment on the headwear of Orthodox clergy, or give a good website? Some questions I have include: Do you start to wear one as you progress in rank? Why is there a difference between Greek priests and Russian priests, for example. All the online resources I've looked up describe and explain the vestments but very little, if at all, on the headwear. Thanks for your time.

Mike said...

You guys even got the outfits! Unfortunately, you guys aren't wearing sombreros with toy pistols by your sides.

I don't care what anyone says. That was a fun movie!

But I digress. It is glad to have you back. Liturgy at St. Joseph just doesn't feel complete without you at the altar.

Fr. James Early said...

Mike,

We're not allowed to carry pistols (not sure what the rule is on toy ones), but I'll work on the sombreros. Thank you (and Jessica) for the kind words. It's great to be back after being "The Wandering Father" for so long.

Pete,

I know almost nothing about the various hats (other than I hate wearing hats of any kind). I'll ask Fr. Matthew and get back to you.