Saturday, September 27, 2008

Be Careful What You Ask For...


As a result of Hurricane Ike, we have not had power at St. Joseph’s the last two Sundays. Because we haven’t had air conditioning, we have not held Sunday School. This has caused me to get about three weeks ahead in my lesson preparation. So, I have decided to take a little break from preparing my Bible studies on St. John’s Gospel. I’ll probably start them again next week.

For now, I wanted to tell you a story about a pre-Ike hurricane that I rode out, this one many years ago. As I may have mentioned before, I grew up in Pasadena, Texas, which is just southeast of Houston. As a kid, I saw many hurricanes come and go. The worst one I remember was Hurricane Alicia in 1983. My parents decided to ride it out. Even though I was 15 at the time, I have almost no memories of the storm. There is one thing that I DO remember, however. It’s pretty funny, so I thought I would share it with you.

A few years after we moved to Pasadena, some new neighbors moved in to the house next door. Not long after moving in, they bought an aluminum tool shed and situated it up against the part of their fence that bordered our yard. My mother absolutely hated that tool shed, so much so that she made my father nail a bunch of bamboo to the fence. This way, the fence was about three feet taller, and the offending eyesore was no longer visible. Even though she couldn’t see it, Mom continued to complain about that tool shed, often saying, “I wish they would get rid of that stupid shed!”

Several years later, as we were hunkered down during Hurricane Alicia, we heard a great CRASH! The sound was one of the loudest I have ever heard; it was almost deafening. We had no idea what had happened, but we knew it couldn’t be good.

After the hurricane had passed, we looked out in our backyard and saw something amazing. It turns out that Alicia had picked up our neighbor’s tool shed, flipped it upside down, and dropped it right in our swimming pool (knocking over the fence, bamboo and all, in the process). My father, brother, and brother-in-law spent a whole day out in the pool with hacksaws, cutting the shed to pieces so that they could remove it from the pool.

So, my Mom finally got her wish. The tool shed was finally gone, even if it was not in the way my mother would have chosen. At least it didn’t come crashing through our roof or through a window.

4 comments:

Clint said...

So the neighbor just sat around and watched your family take out the shed? Did you put the pieces back in their yard for them?

Just wondering.

Janice Dunham said...

Did you know that Rhonda Patton Davis is living in your old house you're talking about here? She's living there with her son and boyfriend. Her parents live right down the road from them.

Fr. James Early said...

Janice,

Thanks for checking out the blog. I hope you will spread the word about it.

I did not know that Rhonda was living in the house, but I did know that she has been dating the man that owns it. He has been there since my parents sold it to him in 1999. I also knew that Rhonda's parents live down the street. I hope that the current owner doesn't get another tool shed deposited in his pool!

Janice Dunham said...

I sent your story on to her and let her know about your blog. They'll get a kick out of the story.