Sunday, October 12, 2008

We're #1!! We're #1!!

UT Tight End Jordan Shipley



I have been an orange-blooded Texas Longhorn fan all my life. This is in large part due to the fact that my older brother and one of my sisters attended there in the 70's. And although my parents attended TCU, they became loyal Texas fans when my siblings attended there, and they remained so until their deaths.

One of my most prized possessions is an orange UT pennant that my sister Lisa gave me back when she was a senior there. That year (1977) also happened to be the senior year of "Big Bad" Earl Campbell, who went on to win the Heisman Trophy that year, and would eventually go on to have a Hall of Fame Career with the Houston Oilers (may they rest in peace!) and the New Orleans Saints. The pennant says "Texas Longhorns: #1 Team in the Nation," which was true for most of that year, until the Horns lost to Notre Dame in the national championship game.

For most of the rest of my life, Texas was NOT the #1 team in the nation (at least not in football), until the early 80's, and that didn't last long. They had not ended the year as #1 since 1970. Finally, under the leadership of QB Vince Young, they finally did win another championship in 2005-2006. And so, for a year, my pennant was finally not lying again. After that year, Young left for the NFL, and the Longhorns had not occupied the #1 spot again.

Until now, that is! Check the polls. Every one of them now has the Longhorns at #1. Needless to say, I am elated. Okay, okay, I'll shut up about football now...at least until next Saturday! Either tomorrow or Tuesday, I'll post my next study on the Gospel of John. But for now, all is good in the world. My pennant is once again telling the truth!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hook 'em!