Thursday, January 29, 2009

Root Canals and Small Things


At about 2:30 this afternoon, I am going to do something that I've never done before. I'm going to have a root canal. Needless to say, I am NOT looking forward to it. To be sure, I will be knocked out during the procedure. I am just hoping that it won't take too long to recover.

Also needless to say, I won't be able to produce another Bible study today. I'm hoping to get one up tomorrow, but if not, it will be Monday. Please pray for me.

In the mean time, I thought I would share with you another brief article that my friend on Facebook sent me. Enjoy.



I COME TO THEE IN SMALL THINGS


I come to thee, My child, in the very smallest things, in the humblest details. Each one of thy getsures can in itself become an expression of limitless Love.

Thou dost wash a plate. Thou dost dry it. Let these actions carry within them love towards all those who have eaten off this plate, toward all those who will eat off it.

A woman goes out of door. She goes to hang the washing on the line so it will dry. Does this rapid movement of service not remind thee of something? Those two arms, spread out for an instant, do they not make thee think of two other arms which were stretched out on sacred Wood?

Everything becomes sacred, if thy love transfigures it.

Love Himself is amongst us as He who serves.

Fr. Lev Gillet, In Thy Presence, page 43, SVS Press 1977

6 comments:

Rachael said...

Aaahhh! There is nothing I hate more than having a dental procedure done, not even of any kind. You have my sympathy and prayers!

Walt Trachim said...

I've got 5 crowns in my mouth after having root canals in all of those teeth. Had three of them at one time after being hit in the face (accidentally) with a baseball while sliding head first into second base... Honestly, I'd rather have root canals than fillings; they seem to hurt less. And your recovery time should actually be pretty quick - tomorrow, while you know you had something done inside your mouth you shouldn't be in any pain.

I'll think good thoughts for you.

charlene said...

Father James,
You are in my prayers. I have had 2 or 3 root canals of my own, and while they dertainly are not fun, I have not found them to be anywhere near as bad as people told me they would be. May your pain be minimal.
charlene

elizabeth said...

Lord have mercy! and thanks for sharing such a lovely passage

Clint said...

I have never had a root canal. But I have heard that they are not enjoyable at all.

I hope you are recovering well.

Katrina said...

Owwww!

Hope your recovery is speedy and painfree!

BTW, In Thy Presence is a marvelous little book, isn't it?

Katrina