Monday, April 20, 2009

Christos Voskrese!


I try very hard to not post the same things that other Orthodox bloggers are posting. But this video is too good to not post, even though a bazillion other blogs also have it. You've probably already seen it dozens of times, but just in case you haven't (or even if you have), I urge you to watch it anyway. If you do, you will be blessed.

This is a contemporary arrangement of a poem written by Saint Nikolai Velimirovic, a twentieth century Serbian saint, and it features the angelic-voiced Serbian singer Divna Ljubojevic. Here's a translation of the lyrics (courtesy of Dejan, a reader of both this blog and Fr. Stephen Freeman's blog, from which I borrowed them).

People rejoice, nations hear:
Christ is risen, and brings the joy!
Stars dance, mounts sing:
Christ is risen, and brings the joy!
Forests murmur, winds hum:
Christ is risen, and brings the joy!
Seas bow, animals roar:
Christ is risen, and brings the joy!
Bees swarm, and the birds sing:
Christ is risen, and brings the joy!

Angels stand, triple the song:
Christ is risen, and brings the joy!
Sky humble yourself, and elevate the earth:
Christ is risen, and brings the joy!
Bells chime, and tell to all:
Christ is risen, and brings the joy!
Glory to You God, everything is possible to You,
Christ is risen, and brings the joy!


And here's the video. Enjoy!


9 comments:

Clint said...

Since I can't listen from this computer at work.... I promise to listen as soon as they get the internet back up at my house.

s-p said...

I might be the only person on earth who hasn't seen that yet. Thanks! The Nuns of St. Paisius do a very nice acapella version of this and several other spiritual songs by St. Nicolai on their CD "Spiritual Songs". A worthwhile purchase from their monastery website http://www.stpaisiusmonastery.org/

charlene said...

Oh Father,
You are so right - this video is such a blessing. Having been born in the stone age, when music came via large round discs,I normally enjoy my music unaccompanied by video. In this case , the impact was magnified by a googgoplex by seeing the people, especially the children, celebrating our risen Christ. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.
charlene

Molly Sabourin said...

Well I hadn't seen the video either so thank you for posting it! I love the pure joyfulness it exudes. Have a wonderful Bright Week with your family! :)

Katrina said...

I've watched this like a billion times and it NEVER gets old!

When I'm having a bummer of a day at any time of the year, I go back to this video on YouTube and it is like pressing a reset button in my soul. Everything seems much different in the light of the pure joy of Pascha.

Clint said...

You are correct - it is wonderful.

I brought headphones to work...

November In My Soul said...

I guess i am the third person not familiar with this video. Beautiful, wonderful. Thank you for Sharing Father.

Brankica i Slavko said...

Oce James,ovo sam imala priliku vidjeti i kod nas,drago mi je da si pronasao i stavio na svoj blog,zaista je preljijepa pjesma.neka svijet vidi sta ima u Srbiji,i kako Srbi slave Vaskrs

Isabel said...

Any poem written by Saint Nikolai Velimirovic is a pleasure and an inspiration! Thank you. The video was pure bliss...