Thursday, September 17, 2009

Amen!

In the 1962 film Lilies of the Field, Sidney Poitier plays an unemployed construction worker whose truck breaks down near a Catholic convent. He ends up staying near the convent and building the sisters there a new chapel. During his stay, the sisters teach him much about faith, and he teaches them a thing or too as well. One of the things he teaches them is the song "Amen," written in the twentieth century, but modeled after the Negro spirituals of the nineteenth. This song is a lot of fun. I thought I would include the clip of Poitier's character singing the song with the nuns. Enjoy.



And here is a more polished and professional version of the same song, sung by contemporary Christian artist Larnelle Harris, whom I saw in concert while I was in seminary. Just ignore the goofy intro; I couldn't find a clip without one. Harris has a truly incredible voice.

2 comments:

Mrs. Darcy said...

This is one of our favorite movies! Thanks for sharing.

thegeekywife said...

I remember my mother used to sing the Amen tune; I didn't know it had other lyrics. Thanks for clueing me in!