Monday, July 26, 2010

Fr. Matthew MacKay - May His Memory Be Eternal

(L-R) Dn. Meletios Marx, Fr. Matthew MacKay, Bp. BASIL Essey, and myself


This morning, I learned of the tragic and premature falling asleep in the Lord of my beloved pastor, spiritual father and friend, the Very Reverend Fr. Matthew MacKay.  Needless to say, Fr. Matthew's sudden and unexpected passing was (and is still) a total shock to me and to all the thousands of people who knew and loved him.  I will post a tribute to him later, but now this is all I can do.  My heart is broken.  Please pray for Fr. Matthew's wife Kh. Lynn, his sons Patrick and Sean, and all the people of St. Joseph's and the other Orthodox parishes in Houston.  He will be dearly, dearly missed.

As of now, funeral arrangments are pending.  I will post them when I know the definite dates and times.

7 comments:

elizabeth said...

am praying and send my deepest sympathies and my love...

Memory Eternal! Memory Eternal! Memory Eternal!

Paul said...

Now I have lost 2 fathers due to heart attacks at young ages. My earthly father and now my spiritual father. What's a son to do?

I spent some time on the porch of the church this evening. It was very quiet. I could see the candle jars burning under the iconastasis.

It's hard to talk, cry, pace and pray at the same time.

Father Matthew: As we pray for you, please pray for us to God who meant so much to you. Don't forget your spiritual children here and me; a sinner.

I love you.

James the Thickheaded said...

Memory Eternal!
My prayers for him, his family, his congregation and brother priests... and all who loved him.

Anonymous said...

To me, my cousin Matthew was a total inspiration in every possible way. I love him. We will all miss him. I awoke this morning, somehow praying this was all just a bad dream and then I found this site. I deeply pray for his Mother Suzi, Father, Bruce, and his sisters Anna and Jill. Please be with Lynn,Patrick Sean. Jim

Justin said...

I wish I had the words to express my sadness. Fr. Matthew's character was a great asset to our archdiocese. His family is in my prayers.

- David

Pr Seraphim said...

I added Fr Matthew to our public prayer list (https://docs.google.com/View?id=dzgvjb6_16f2pcdrhn), and will commemorate in all liturgies.
Priest Seraphim Holland
BLOG:http://www.orthodox.net/redeemingthetime

Ted Johnson said...

"Needless to say, Fr. Matthew's sudden and unexpected passing was (and is still) a total shock to me and to all the thousands of people who knew and loved him. I will post a tribute to him later, but now this is all I can do." I am taken aback by the truth in those words.